Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Advice on starting Graphic Design business, freelance.? -

Hi everbody,I m a complete newbie to business, so please bear with me.I ve just completed a graphic design course at college, and am hoping to start my own freelance business.The thing is, as I say, I m completely new to this field. I d like some advice with someone with experience.What s my first steps. I ve designed a company logo, I ve got the company name sorted. I ve even designed a proposal letter to send out to potential clients. But I figure I need to cover the legal side of things, like registering the business etc.I ve also joined the Business Link mailing list, which should provide me with some information.Can anyone lend a helpful hand?ThanksLuke

Hi Luke - Generally, businesses are required to get a business license to ensure that they are complying with government regulations. Licensing requirements will depend on which city/county/state your business is located in.Business.gov can provide information for your local area and type of business at their website. You can enter your zip code and business type, and you ll receive information on licensing requirements as well as permits, tax documentation.You ll also want to register your business name with the County Clerk s Office. Contact your county for forms and instructions.You ve done a good job so far. Just so you know you re covering your bases, I suggest picking up a How to Start a Small Business type book at your local library or bookstore. These usually cover lots of different important topics, including legal and tax information, and will probably answer many question before you know to ask them.A good book at Amazon: Working for Yourself: Law Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers and Consultants Finding clients: You can list your graphic design services and find freelance work at a website called eLance.http://www.elance.com

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS