Friday, March 13, 2009

What is the average wpm required for a secretarial/ receptionist position? -

I m doing a resume for a secretarial position and have noticed its important, if not vital to have the typing wpm information on there, so I m wondering whats the average. I took several tests online and have a 95% accuracy rate with 47 wpm. If this is your profession or if you re an employer of such is this sufficient? If not, what should my goal be? I ve heard that 60 is average but is this expected as an entry level secretary? I type much faster when not having to copy from another written source, but I know this will only allow me the luxury of learning faster...Thanks for any help I can get!

Totally depends on how much typing is required. Many receptionists only answer the phone, so typing speed is secondary to communication skills and multitasking. Alternately if your primary job is typing, you should be able to do it well. 47 isn t bad and I imagine that you could easily be at 60 or more after a few weeks of typing.ANyway, it just depends on the exact job.

Every job I had which tested typing speed demanded 60 wpm.However, being able to compose a good letter, typed at whatever speed I wanted, or being able to correct the spelling and grammar of the letter s writer so it went out perfect, counted a lot more heavily than typing speed once I had the job.Still, I suspect you probably ought to aim for 60.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS