Sunday, September 8, 2013

Can any farmers out their help me? -

I grew up farming and would like to get back into it. I just don t know what is best right now to get into. I live in central Alabama. I would like to farm cattle, chickens or fish. Preferably fish farming (Tilapia) or cattle farming or both. How and where can I get government loans to start this and where can I go to sell these fish? I m tired of working a regular job and know what it takes to farm. Growing up we raised cattle and hogs. Working a farm is not a problem! Any info from current farmers would help me greatly!!!!!

There are scant few gov t loans and grants for farming start up. The vast majority are for research and you need to be partnered with a Ph.D who teaches at an ag college. But talk to your state dept of agriculture-start at your local co-operative extension office and go from there.Farm Credit Services is about the only lender in the US that will lend money for farms (that is all they do). I have my farm mortgage through themAs for marketing it is good you are thinking ahead and about this-too many people get into farming and forget about selling what they grow until they have the crop ready to go. If you have the refrigeration I would think you could do quite well selling fresh fish at farmers markets (same with beef) but you will have to jump through a lot of hoops with state and county health depts in order to sell direct. Selling to restaurants would be another market and than there is wholesaling. Again your county extension agent should be able to help you out there.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS