Wednesday, February 15, 2006

New Business....good or bad idea? -

Im 35, married and stable. Highly educated in accounting and business and am considering starting my own bookkeeping and administrative services business. I was wondering what was required to do such in Katy, Texas. License and legal requirments and also, is now a good time for such a business? I am currently working as an accountant for an oil and gas company and have heard stories of smaller companies laying off their accoutning people and outsourcing the work. Seems logical. Just need to know where to start.

Stay put. You re not an entrepreneur. Hey I m not bashing you but your question frames the obvious. You re highly educated in accounting and business but don t know the first thing about creating a start up. Hate to break it to you but it s not in your blood. Also for the record and from experience I can tell you that the fastest way to run a company into the ground is when a finance guy is put at the helm. I ve seen dozens of companies tank because of this. Accountants are not risk takers. They live in the ledger and make decisions based on saving money, cutting costs, etc. They don t have grand visions or make bold gestures in business. They never say hey, sales are lagging to let s hire more people, spend more on promotion and revamp marketing . They do the opposite which kills the company. Then they elude blame. It s always baffled and amused me in the corporate world. Don t shoot the messenger here. I m actually doing you a favor.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS