Wednesday, March 1, 2006

I want to start my own business, do I really need to finish college? -

Im a junior in college and I am HATING it. I don t like my major and cant find one that fits what I am interested in and I just cant stay motivated. I love to paint and have made a small name for myself painting children s furniture and bedroom accessories. My dream is to start my own business painting. The only problem is I cant do both. I cant go to school AND try to start my own business. So my question is; should I stay in college and finish or pursue my goal of starting my own business and finish college at a later date, if at all?

its highly advisable that you finish college first as is the case with anybody. but no, you do not need to finish college to start a business. Microsoft, Dell, Apple and I believe Oracle were started by people who did not complete their pursuits of higher education. your real worry should be whether or not your business venture would be profitable. selling art is hard, painting, even harder.

I too am a junior in college and starting an online business. If you paint cool stuff sell it on etsy.com. You can do both - you re almost done. Just finish up with whatever degree you are working on and do what you love.Trust me, I didn t finish college the first time around and now I m trying to get it done when I m older....no fun.

You quit now, it will haunt you for the rest of your life. so, dig in and make it like as if this is your business.

In my opinion...College degrees are only helpful if you plan on working for someone else. Thats it.To work for yourself, you do need knowledge in alot of areas...but this is attainable online and in bookstores and from your personal experience...there is much material available that is extremely current and authored by people who are out doing it and being successful at it (speaking about whatever subject or skills you are looking at)College is ultra structured, and the information isn t always current....most grads green from college have to sort of be retrained anyway when they get in the workforce... molded and shaped so-to speakA college degree by no means automatically increases your chances for success..but knowledge IS essentiall.People who think otherwise about college degrees are just drones....who work for someone else....for a pittance of a wage.(shrug)

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS