Sunday, April 2, 2006

Cashier during quick change scam...help? -

To make a long story short, I have been scammed. It is my first job at a discount store, I have been working there less than a month, and this guy bought something like a dollar and paid with $100, asked for change, I gave change, but wanted it in 20 s instead, then wanted 100 s broken..anyways, several hundred dollars were scammed. I feel horrible, I like my job and all my coworkers have been so nice to me since I started and now this happened and I feel so guilty and awful. I have been crying for a few days now and I can t seem to forget about it. I don t think I am going to be fired, but I just feel terrible. They never trained me about any of this and I didn t know about this type of scam until now.. but I don t know what to do. I feel so bad. Will I get fired? Should I quit?

Don t quit. Go to your boss tell him how you feel. The fact that you are so upset is important to him. Don t hide what happened. If he is aware, he may be able to stop this from happening again. You didn t do anything wrong. Get it out in the open. If he fires you, his loss. (I don t think he will.) You will feel better in the end.

No, don t quit. Those scammers are very good at what they do.Many years ago I worked as a cashier. We had been trained on short-change scams, but when a customer actually tried it on me, even though I m really a math person I couldn t see what was wrong. I realized something was (we had been told about this type of thing in training, remember) so hit my buzzer for a supervisor and the guy took off. But even though I m really good at math, it still took me a long time to figure out where the catch was.Your store should have made you aware in training of this situation. Don t feel guilty. You got scammed, yes, but a large percentage of cashiers would have. Let it go - if someone tries it again, stop and call a supervisor - next time you ll recognize that something is wrong.

Hun....Im sooo sorry. I would feel terrible too, its human nature to be depressed/sad after an event like that. I remember back in the day (dont laugh please) I used to play an online game and got scammed for (in the real world s equivalent) thousands of dollars. I felt terrible, started crying, etc. The good thing is I got over it soon enough. If its a big chain store like Dillard s or JCPenny s I wouldn t feel too terrible, they make enough money. Plus, as long as YOU have YOUR job still, and the money doesn t come out of your pay check, I think time will be the only thing needed to heal the wound Hope its of some inspiration!!

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS