Sunday, April 2, 2006

I have a dog product that I am trying to get picked up by pet stores. How much should I sell to stores for? -

I need to know how much I should offer my product to stores for? If customers buy it on my website it sells for $19.95. What is a reasonable price point to sell to stores for? I will probably be dropping off no more then 15-20 of my items to any given store.

Hi Carrie,It really comes down to how much it costs you to either make or buy and mark up. If you are dropping product off yourself you need to add in your time, gas, and wear and tear on your vehicle. A 15% discount off of list is a good place to start from list price for a vendor to be able to mark it back up to list and sell it. You just need to make sure that whatever discount you give that your profit margin is not compromised in the process. So, if it costs you $15 to make or buy and you want to make a 30% profit margin, that does not give you a lot of room to discount.To your Success,Fernando

1-is it even worth $19.95 at retail? have you sold a lot at that price?2-you will probably have to offer at least a 50% discount to retailers and probably wait at least 30 days to get paid - you need to know how to check the credit of a business (not free) and issue invoices and follow up on slow payers.3- can you still make a decent profit selling it for 50% off the retail price?especially if you have to lower the retail price?

Most stores want a 50% increase on the wholesale price for the retail. They need to make a profit, which includes bringing in enough to cover store costs. If the item sells at retail for $20, a wholesale cost would be in the $8-$10 range.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS