Thursday, July 5, 2007

How can I create a intimate apparel line? -

I am guessing I should start by sketching out my ideas. What do I do next? I can t sew. Do I find a seamstress and ask him/her to design it for me? I m not too sure how to go about this. And what do once the seamstress designed my product just how I want it. Is this going to be the same person to make all of the products that I start to sell?

Perhaps a bit more specific research is in order, not just asking how do I do it on Yahoo answers. Starting a line is quite complex, requires an investment of time and plenty of money and you should have a good solid understanding of business, fashion design, clothing construction, manufacturing, marketing and the many steps in taking a line from concept to finished products for retail. It s far too complex for a simple Yahoo answer. You might want to start here: http://www.fashion-incubator.com/ and check out the book she is selling. no, you do not find a seamstress. A seamstress or dressmaker isn t always a fully qualified fashion designer nor do they know about drafting and grading patterns, nor will they know commercial production requirements. They can make your perfect wedding dress but they won t know about grading, markers, spec sheets, production costing etc. not even sketches huh? maybe you need to start at he same square one many professional designers start at: learn to draw, learn to sketch, learn to sew, go to fashion college and take the intimate apparel stream and learn what you need, graduate, work for another designer for a while or strike out on your own. It s the way real designers and successful designers do it. If it sounds like a lot of really hard work, it is. it isn t easy. But if fashion is what you love it is the best hard work in the world.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS