Thursday, February 7, 2008

Can a PO Box in another town be my business legal address for my home business? -

I wanted to start a home business (selling junk on the internet), but I live in Philadelphia which has a business privilege tax. 6% tax on all profit. Plus Philadelphia has a 2% higher sales tax the the next county over. So, I thinking of getting a PO box or UPS Store Box outside Philadelphia and using it as my business address. Would this be legal?

ah....no. Your physical address is your business s legal address, doesn t matter where the mail is going to. When you fill out your tax returns at the end of the year and IF you claim a home office/storage deduction, it s going to ask where the office is located. When the PA state tax commission gets a copy of your federal tax returns, the jig will be up and you have to pay the difference plus penalties and interest.Keep in mind that that 6% is on your profit, not gross sales. Once you deduct the cost of your junk, the shipping, supplies, home office deduction, mileage, internet, losses, insurance, etc and so on, you ll probably see that the tax isn t that bad after all :)

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS