Thursday, June 13, 2013

How do I determine what size and thickness of plastic bag I need? -

I have a small business that makes specialized frames that are 8 x 4 . The frames are heavy though - about 1 lb each. I need plastic bags to package them for shipping, but am unsure what size I need. How much larger do I need them? And how thick do they need to be?

Hi Julie ~ This is right up my alley. The thickness you ll need depends on whether the bag is going to actually support the weight of the frame or just serve as protection from dirt, dust and moisture. For the former you ll probably need a 3 mil. If the latter, then 1.25 mil or 1.5 mil should work just fine.The size bag you ll need can t be recommended without the third dimension of the frame. The thickness of your frame will take away from both the width and the length of the bag dimensions. If the frame is one inch thick, for example, then you ll need a minimum of 6 x 10 inch bag. If it s 2 inches, then a minimum of 7 x 11 (not likely to find that, so 7 x 12) would be needed.The examples I gave are allowing just enough to fold the bag over and possibly tape it closed. Anything extra that you might want in the way of length, i.e. to seal it or tie it closed, would need to be added accordingly.Your best bet is to write or call the experts at Discount Plastic Bags. Here s a sample link to one of their products: http://discountplasticbags.com/scripts/product-view-286.aspThey ll have the right answer for you.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS