Friday, January 20, 2006

A business is acting illegally in several ways, who should I report it to? -

I used to work for a restaurant as a Waitress. The Manager/Owner cuts a lot of corners with her business. The following are just some of the things she does:*She has illegal immigrants working in the kitchen. (Anytime a cop car would pull into the restaurant parking lot, all the cooks would go running out the back door)*In the state of Texas waitresses only get paid $2.13 an hour (becuase we get to keep all of our tips). The manager would make us work 72 hours a week, and wouldn t pay us overtime even though she is required to. *Also, in the state of Texas, for every hour that a waitress is not waiting tables we are supposed to be paid minimum wage (Instead of the usual $2.13 and hour). For example the restaurant opens at 11am, but we would get there at 10am to set up and open the restaurant. For that hour we are supposed to be paid minimum wage, but the manager/owner refused to pay us anything except $2.13 an hour.*When confronting an employee that has done something wrong, she uses curse words and vulgar language instead of acting professionally.*She doesn t keep up with bookeeping, such as the start dates and end dates of employees.*After I quit she didn t send me my last check. I called several times and she refused to come to the phone. I left my address and phone number so she could send me my check and she still hasn t. I quit June 15th 2009 and I still haven t gotten my last paycheck.*I had a torn rotator cuff and couldn t lift trays, so I called her to let her know that. I offered to com in a host, seat tables, clean tables, etc., I just couldn t lift the trays. Her exact words to me were you are useless to me unless you can lift followed by a lot of vulgar language. At that point I quit.*She refuses to create a safe working environment. In the kitchen there are slick floors. When they get wet the employees have fallen several times. When I askd her to order some mats to make the floor less slippery for the employees, she said we jsut just be more careful.These are just some of the issues within her business. Who can I report these issues to so that her current and future employees will not have to deal with all this?

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/customers/jse��Texas Workforce Commission - Department Of Labor for most of these things complaints can and should be filed.Pay issues should be reported to the entity above AND the IRS.

Very simply, just make a call to your local Labor and Industries. Might be called the labor board in your State. It is totally illegal to withhold you check among these other issues you wrote about.

Violations of fair pay and unacceptable labor practices are generally reported to the Department of Labor or the Labor Board for the state in which you live.See their online website for further details.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS