Sunday, March 19, 2006

I need advice about collection agency bargaining!? -

My little sister got some medical bills she couldn t pay. She informed me and I urged her to work out a payment plan with the hospital, but when she called it was too late. They informed her they d sent her bill to collections. She just received the letter.I want to be able to talk to the hospital/collection agency. I know there s a way to do this but that my sister first needs to give her consent. Can someone explain this?I am going to pay her bill, however, is there any chance I can work with the hospital or is it too late? Otherwise, can I offer the collection agency to pay, say, 50% of the bill and call that good? I have no experience with this, but I want this on my shoulder s, not hers. Please help!

First, your sister needs to authorize you to speak for her in this matter, through a limited power of attorney . You can get a form for this at any Office supplies store, like Office Max and such, though it ll cost $$$. Second, you may want to enlist the help of a consumer debt conciling services, the NON-profit ones, NOT the ones advertising on TV or radio.

That s easy.. Have your sister call the collection agency with you (NO point calling the hospital, they sold the bill to the agency and don t have any record of your sisters bills anymore), she can give them permission to speak with you and the rest you can negotiate, but keep her by your side the whole time you talk to them. Now if you want the amount reduced, you ll have to speak with them and see if they can help you with it.And if you do solve the issue, send them a money order not a check!

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS