Tuesday, May 8, 2007

What to do to get a business license and insurance for gutter cleaning business? -

I m currently a college freshman in VA. I m working through my options for this coming summer and am considering running a gutter-cleaning/ lawn care business. I ve done the work itself for several years....I don t need to know how to do the work. I just want to know if I should get a business license and insurance and how should I go about doing that?Thanks for any help!

Hi, Caleb!I clean small offices, but I think your business would be similar. If you are just going to do it for the summer, I wouldn t get a business license-it s mostly for the government to tax you and to open a business bank account. You might want to call your city or county clerk s office, though, and ask if a license or permit is required, though just to make sure.I would get some liability insurance. It will protect you from claims of damage or theft. Call a lot of insurance agencies and get quotes for the amount you decide you want. The rates vary so do call around. I would think it might be a good idea to have a contract of sorts. Mostly to relieve the client from responsibility should you get hurt and things like that. I may have a resource for you on that at my Squidoo lens on cleaning businesses. The link is in My Profile.I hope this helps you!

Hi,You may or may not need a business license. That depends on your local municipality regulations on contractors so check with them. You also wouldn t have to register your business name if you went with your personal name by doing something like this.Call John Smith Gutter Cleaning, when your gutters are clogged.Insurance is there to protect you. Residential customers may not ask for proof of insurance but commercial customers will.Here is a link to more information on lawn care business insurance http://lawnchat.com/?p=887 and here http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.ph��

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS