Sunday, July 19, 2009

How many hours do I legally have to work as a salaried employee? -

My work seems to expect 60 hours a week from me and I make salary. What is legal? Do I have to work any amount of hours they want?

Now you see why they want you as salary. It is sad but even in 2009 the labor laws are still to help a business and not its employees. If you are hourly, I can have you work 50 hours strait. As long as I give you required lunches, and pay you overtime for the 10 hours, it is legal. Fall asleep I can fire you. I can have you work 40 hours strait as long as I give you the required lunches (I do not have to pay OT) it is legal. As a salaried employee, you have signed away your soul, so there is no limit to the ways I can legally abuse you.

There is no limit to the number of hours you can be required to work, according to the US Department of Labor Fair Labor Standards Act.http://www.dol.gov/dolfaq/go-dol-faq.asp��Question: How many hours per day or per week can an employee work?Answer: The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) does not limit the number of hours per day or per week that employees aged 16 years and older can be required to work.

As an exempt employee are paid for the work they do not the hours it takes to do the work. If it takes you 60 hours, to do the work, than it takes you 60 hours. But it works both ways... if you take a vacation day and answer a phone call or email, that is considered work and no longer eligible as a vacation day.

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS