Sunday, July 19, 2009

Overtime pay if you take a vacation day that week? -

Say i normally work 40 hours a week (8 hrs/day X 5 days a week). Last week I took 3 days (24 hours) of vacation. During the other 2 days I worked I worked 12 hour days. So if you add my vacation time in to my hours worked the total number is 48 hours. My question is, should I get paid overtime for those 8 hours? I say no. That you cannot use paid time off to push you into overtime. You only pay overtime for actual hours worked. Other people at my company say it is over 40 hours a week so you have to pay them. Does anyone know the answer to this? And where I can find documentation so I can back it up? Thanks!Brooke

You actually have to WORK 40 hours to get overtime. Being paid for 40 isn t the same as working 40.

It depends what state you are in. If you are in daily overtime state, then yes. (CA, NV, etc). Most likely you aren t.In 40 hour a week overtime states, the company does not need to pay you for that overtime. But based on company policy they could pay you.

Under federal regulations only time actually worked above 40 hours per week is subject to overtime. In your example there is no overtime because you only worked 24 hours.

are you salary or hourly?do you normally get paid for OT hrs?teh teh OT approved by mgmt?to my knowledge - you SHOULD get paid OTturn your hours in and let the payroll dept deal with it

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS