Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Ive always been told to work hard and success will follow, but Im starting to doubt? -

I ve been conditioned to think that the only way to succeed is to continually sacrifice for the future. I believed this wholeheartedly. I m now a junior in college with many internships in business and a competitive GPA at the expense of social life and a devotion to friends and family. I ve often heard that its not healthy to dedicate so much to time to education and work but I ve also heard that to be a player in the field of business it best to work exceptionally hard now and reap the benefits later. I realized that the future hasn t come yet!! I cant figure out why I m working so hard for the possibility of professional success and the likelihood of more hours for higher pay. I need your advice, for those of you who have entered the work force was it worth the past struggles, that is if you had a struggle. Should i focus more on the present and enjoy my life now or focus on the future and dedicate the present toward that?I guess what I m really trying to figure out is if i should continue the sacrifice of time, is it really worth it?

First your have to define what does success mean to you. If it means having materialistic things, a big house, 3 car garage and a BMW in the driveway then yes you will have to work hard, eat crow and put in 45 - 70 hours a week for a good 7 - 10 years of your career. On the other hand if success to you means working a job you LOVE and making a modest income ($40,000) and having a family then you can achieve that without the grind. When I was 19, I thought success meant a big house, BMW and nice materialistic stuff. I busted my butt in school and went to graduate school while working full time (in my career of choice). I moved to different states every 3 years climbing the corporate ladder and I got the big house, 3 car garage, BMW, international vacations and tons of materialistic crap. 11 years into the career I started noticing the next career promotion was to VP ... unfortunately all of the VP s were in their 40 s and either divorced, in failed marriages/relationships and barren with no kids. They worked in their offices until 11pm because they didn t have any family or friends outside of work to go home to. I knew that s NOT what I wanted for my future, regardless of the prestige or the salary.People can say that I m crazy to have left a six figure job with such wonderful perks - all I can say is that it is a lot of stress and a lot of hours put in at the office. At some point the money didn t matter anymore. I m a social butterfly and I get irritated when I don t have time to enjoy hobbies and be with family and friends.Despite my disdain for the corporate world,To answer your question, I don t regret it. Yes you should work hard now since you are young but set goals for yourself. If you save and invest wisely you will be able to leave the grind in 10 years and then go off to do what you want. Life is about experiences and it s okay to change careers. The average person changes careers 3-4x s in their life. Just make sure you have a good friend or family member that you can talk to when times get tough, you always need at least one person who can keep you grounded. Be wise about your purchases, invest as much as you can early on and don t run yourself into debt.

fine - quit college and see what kind of a job you get - you want fries with that burger ???stay in school - concentrate on stduying - I wish I had taken school more seriously when I was in - I played a little more than I should have and it greatly affected my early post college careerno one says you have to study 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week, but studying MUST come first

You need to create a balance as all this sacrifice and you have nothing leftI have friends that have worked day and night and all he has is money in the bankI have worked day and night have amazing stories and experiences and no money in the banktry some middle ground

You are young. Many entrepreneurs have to work hard and sacrifice for DECADES before enjoying success. Hard work and sacrifice will pay off, but it may not happen as soon as you would hope. What are your options? I guess you can choose not to work hard, slack off on your studies and go out with your friends every night. However, I can guarantee you will not be successful if you go that route. Stick with it and you will be successful. I can t tell you how long it will take, but I can guarantee you will enjoy success one day!

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS