Friday, March 13, 2015

Can I maintain my COBRA coverage after I become self-employed? -

I was laid off in April and began COBRA coverage at a very good rate due to the stimulus package subsidy. I am about to become self-employed and would like to keep the COBRA coverage and my insurance for as long as possible (18 months). I understand that after the 18 months I will definitely need to find my own coverage, but I m wondering if I can keep my current insurer on COBRA until then.

The short answer to your question is: Yes. I am doing just that myself. The Federal COBRA law gives you the option to continue your coverage through your previous employer (as long as they still offer coverage to full-time employees...) for 18 months. No restrictions.Good Luck!

>>>

 

Home Posts RSS Comments RSS